Saturday, September 27, 2008

Holiday Seasons for All... Or not?

I was called in to talk to my director about a concerned parent not wanting her child to have anything to do with the upcoming holiday, Halloween, because of religious views about the holiday.

My opinion is no matter what, this kid is going to see other kids in his neighbourhood going from door to door asking for trick or treats and feel left out. Or, when he grows up and goes for parties, there's no way to escape Halloween parties where everyone starts being extremely creative with a big excuse to walk around the street portraying the image of a character they can't be on their normal days. It's just... Fun! One can observe this holiday not as a religious holiday, just as how christmas has become somehow. It's just a great general holiday like Labour Day or Martin Luther King Day, but just of fun for kids and adults. I find it also a way to go door to door and get to know our neighbours and it's not at all inappropriate.

My point is I hate seeing a kid missing out a day of fun. I planned to introduce other holidays and cultures but now I have to be wary of the sensitivity of religious views. This school is so unlike Japan's Youth Center. :( I remembered all of us were so diverse but we still do what we can to make things fun........... In the center, religion's got nothing to do with anything in the school.

:(:(

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home